How to Clean Seat Belts
Your seat belt is all about safety. That’s no secret. What you may not have thought about is that your seat belts can take a beating. Every time you grab the belt to buckle up, oils from your hands soil the material. Spills from food or drinks combine with dirt to wreaks havoc on your seat belts. Whether you have white seat belts or a bold black finish to your cabin, learning how to clean seat belts is a great way to keep your vehicle in tip-top shape. Read on with the service experts at Serra Mazda to discover how to keep your North Canton cruiser looking great!
Tips for Cleaning Seat Belts
If your seat belts are looking tired and dingy, it’s time to clean them up! Cleaning seat belts isn’t too difficult, and you can easily tackle the job in your Canton driveway.
Here are eight tips to follow to learn how to clean seat belts:
- Tip #1 Pull one of the seat belts all the way out. Use a clamp to hold it in place.
- Tip #2 Spray the fabric with a fabric-cleaning solution or a seat belt cleaner. Then, scrub the belt with a stiff brush. Work your way back and forth over the belt in the same direction that the material’s fibers face. Don’t move in circles. Over time, the material may degrade with excessive force.
- Tip #3 If the belt has a stain, you may want to use a stronger solution or seat belt cleaner. Combine an all-purpose cleaner with warm water, creating a 3-parts to 1-part solution. Dip the scrub brush into the mixture and then work it over the belt. Try not to soak the belt in water and get it really wet, as it will take longer to dry. You don’t want to retract the belt back into the spool until it’s completely dry to avoid mildew problems.
- Tip #4 If you’re dealing with seat belts that have a bad odor, use a mixture of warm water and baking soda to scrub the belt. Or you can try a mixture of dish soap, vinegar, and warm water. Also, consider a specially-made seat belt cleaner for tougher jobs.
- Tip #5 If you have a steam machine, this is an ideal way to clean the seat belts, as it won’t get the belt too wet and it speeds up the drying time. Spray the fabric cleaner on the material and then direct the steam toward the belt.
- Tip #6 Use a dry towel and run it back and forth over the belt to soak up the water.
- Tip #7 Repeat these steps to clean all the other seat belts.
- Tip #8 Let the belts dry overnight before removing the clamps and retracting the seat belts.
Follow these tips to maintain your seat belts’ cleanliness on a regular basis. Whether you need to clean your white seat belts or your beige seat belts need some TLC, our tips can help you restore your vehicle’s interior.
Rely on Serra Mazda for Automotive Tips!
Along with cleaning seat belts, our team can help you discover how to clean your leather car seats and more. We offer a wide range of service tips and parts tricks to help you handle DIY car care in your Hudson driveway. If you have service needs that go beyond what you can handle on your own, feel free to schedule service with our team! Better yet, explore our service coupons to find extra savings with each visit.